1. Hanoi is pretty chaotic.
2. It is a country that depends on air conditioning and fans.
3. Vietnam is a bit like a mixture of Cuba and something Eastern bloc.
4. Vietnamese is a very hard language to pick up.
5. The people are friendly. If someone comes across otherwise, it is probably because of being insecure about not speaking English.
6. Lili gets a lot of looks and people want to touch her and take photos of her.
7. There are no prices listed anywhere. You are at the mercy of your own bargaining skills for not overpaying. We routinely get quoted about fourfold prices.
8. Hotels are very inexpensive.
9. Overbooking seems to be commonplace. We have seen it on buses, trains and hotels. On buses they just put plastic stools on the floor of the centre aisle.
10. People wear respiratory masks everywhere. It's a bit disconcerting.